A brief history
Broken Hill was declared a municipality in 1888 and the first council meeting was held in a wooden building on this site in December. The Town Hall was designed by Adelaide architects Whithall and Wells in the Italianate style common to South Australia and built by Hewitt and Smethurst using stone quarried from Block 14 mine lease. It was opened 6 August 1891 by the Governor of NSW, the Earl of Jersey. The main hall and offices were demolished in 1974. However, the ornate facade has been retained and was restored in 1976.
Info source Book: BROKEN HILL: A Guide to the Silver City